Sunday, October 16, 2011

This is James.

He loves trucks and motorcars.
I had the opportunity, or else asked for the opportunity, to stay the night in the village of Masongbo. It is the village of one of my Sierra Leone "Families". Mohammed is a driver with World Hope International and has been the one who has looked after me for nearly all of my travels in Country. He has become my Sierra Leone father as he watches out for my safety and has helped me in many cultural situations. When I asked about sleeping in his village he was very excited and immediately began planning the menu and activities.
After arriving it was not long before nearly the whole village gathered to warmly welcome me and voice their surprise of a white woman sleeping in the village. However, it was not the excitement of a white woman in the village that drew James near. His eyes had seen the truck and all he wanted was a ride! Many in the village have never rode inside a vehicle as many we have offered rides to are unsure of how to open or close the door.  James had never rode in one but he had seen them before and without doubt his little kid mind was positive that riding in one was going to be great! Of course I asked Mohammed to let us give this little boy a ride and I sat beside him videoing the moment. I captured a priceless video of this little boys happiness but the joy of that moment is not on video but inscribed on my heart.
This little boy was very sure of what he wanted and the joy and contentment that rested on him after this moment in the truck was clearly visible. A picture of our needs being met in Christ comes to mind. He gives us inexpressible joy, one that rests deep in our souls. In moments like this I am reminded of how grateful I am to Christ for this gift. Sometimes it just takes a little boy and a pickup truck to show us this.




Philippians 2:1-4 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment