Monday, May 20, 2013

3 Amazing Kids

I want to introduce you to three of my favorite kiddos- they have blessed me, taught me, and given me immense joy!

Fanta Mady- Is a little Cerebral Palsy boy whose mom is one of the most dedicated mothers I have ever met! Mady struggled with feedings his whole life often sick because he frequently aspirated his food. Despite all this Mady's mom fed him not only physically but I do believe that it was the love and dedication to her son  that really has kept him alive. Dr. Anne one of the doctors we were working with wanted me to met Mady just a couple months ago and my first thought was how do we get a G-Tube for him. A G-tube is a feeding tube direct to the stomach and my sister having one for many years I knew this could help Mady thrive. With the help of some German doctors Mady became I imagine one of the first kids in Sierra Leone to have this G-tube. It has been a joy to often visit Mady while I teach his family how to use and care for his G-tube. I am always greeted with the biggest smile and happiest squeals! 
Mady being fed by his Aunty






Grace- She was abandoned at the only children's hospital in Sierra Leone likely because of her disabilities. When we first started visiting her there was a mom who had taken on caring for her. Once that mom's child was better Grace was then left in the nurses care which often left her often unfed and not cared for. However as our involvement increased and we gave Grace a chair to let her sit down in the nurses and other mom's started taking note. I loved hearing the moms and nursing saying "She is a real person." Grace has been changing the stigma of disabled children being demons or cursed. She has won the love of many of the nurses and moms on the ward. Today we went to see Grace and found out next week if all goes well she will be moved to The Rainy Season Orphanage- quite near to where I live. This is fantastic news as TRS is what I would say the best orphanage in the country and I will often get to go love on her as she is so near!

Grace a few months ago

Grace and Ola (another abandoned disabled child) get their chairs!
They remind me of a cute old couple all they need is a porch!

Looking much better- Grace was the second child to receive a G-tube!


Hannah- last but certainly not least! Most of my friends and family already know "Baby" Hannah's story. She was being severely neglected- left for days in her chair while she was unable to walk. Her Aunty had remarried and moved away so although Hannah had been in our program for awhile she was now under the care of an Uncle who never was home. After a couple of weeks of visiting her, cleaning and feeding her with no contact from the Uncle I got social workers involved and now Hannah is safely at a shelter where she is extremely well cared for and improving rapidly. She comes to the Aberdeen Women's Centre a couple times a month to check on her therapies and we recently were able to give her stability boots to practice standing. She has gained so much confidence and with this lots of attitude! She brings me lots of laughs and joy when I get to see her! Amazed at how God is so faithfully at work in these little lives! And so blessed that he has let me be a part of their lives!

Hannah back in February 


Last week working hard at her therapy!
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7


No comments:

Post a Comment