Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hannah's Story

Over a year ago I probably saved a little girl’s life. If you look back through my blog you will see my first entry of her and her story. Hannah is her name and she was abandoned and starving, surrounded by flies and maggots when I found her in February of 2013. I have never seen a child in such a horrible condition.
I never could imagine what all would follow in saving this little girl’s life.
It has been a trying and beautiful journey in the last year from her going to a rescue shelter to being fostered by me. Hannah’s story is one of heartbreak, spiritual trials, shuffling from one place to another, overcoming hurdles, and the beginning of healing and discovering the many aspects of joy and love.
I have kept very quiet these past 6 months of fostering Hannah because so much of it was filled with difficulty, frustration, and hurt. However, I feel it is time to break the silence and let people know. I will try to blog frequently about where we are in “Hannah’s story”.
To begin, Hannah’s father “never answered the belly” – English translation “He never claimed Hannah was his.” Hannah’s mother died 4 years ago and after was being raised by an uncle who later abandoned her due to her disability. Hannah is diagnosed with Athetoid Cerebral Palsy which means she has uncontrolled movements which causes her to be unable to walk independently.
Having a sister with disabilities I have a huge heart for disabled kids. I have for a long time wanted to adopt a child with disabilities. I prayed and decided to foster Hannah and try to adopt her. When she came to me after the shelter the transition was hard but I was optimistic. After a few months, however, she was not bonding with me and talked about her sister on nearly a daily basis. I went home for a visit and decided it would not be best for either of us to try adoption when there was an attachment disorder.
Hannah’s sister, Mariama, who is 14 years was living with her adult cousin, we have recently inquired if Hannah could go live with them as they would be the only living family that we would consider to take her and she desperately wants to be reunited with her sister. The family refused, wanting nothing to do with Hannah, and said they were also sending Mariama away. We also learned that they had been taking advantage of this 14 year old in the past 4 years, not sending her to school and making her do all the housework.
Last night the two sisters slept quietly in my room. I am taking Mariama in for a visit which has been explained to both of them. Over a year ago I never could of imagined taking a 9 year old, let alone a teenager, and yet again have 3 others who spend any time out of school at my house as well.  
I do not know what plans God has. We are praying that there might be a solution for them to be placed together and even if I could take them both I would be unable to legally as Mariama is too old. One organization is working with me to help me find a solution as well as some other thoughts. What I desired above all is for it to be God’s will for them. I desire for His will to only include that I might be able to continue my relationship with these two precious girls.

“To him that has no might He increaseth strength.”

1 comment:

  1. Jaimie, with such a big heart, we look forward to meeting them both in just a few days now. Really no answers but this Easter time let's remember that Jesus is our and their Saviour. Big prayers as this works through. V x

    ReplyDelete